New York Scooter Accident Lawyer
Over the past few years, New York City and several other urban centers have struggled to reduce traffic congestion. Meanwhile, climate change activists have sought to reduce carbon emissions. This combination of efforts created the perfect environment for scooters to thrive as micro-transportation units. While scooters have certainly addressed both problems, riders often face the same safety issues as cyclists.
New York personal injury law has evolved quickly to address the needs of scooter riders in an accident. Consequently, like all other road users, if you suffered scooter injuries, you may become eligible for compensation. If you lost your loved one in a scooter accident, you or other eligible persons may pursue a wrongful death suit.
What Is a Scooter Accident?
A scooter accident is any incident involving a scooter that results in injuries. Collisions with motor vehicles often come to mind and make up the bulk of cases. However, many other incidents can lead to scooter accidents:
- The occupant of a motor vehicle could unexpectedly open a door in the path of a scooter rider.
- Cyclists could swerve unexpectedly into the path of a scooter rider.
- Pedestrians could run across the street when an e-scooter rider has the right of way, making it difficult to stop without damage or injury.
- Malfunctioning scooters could stop working unexpectedly and cause a rider to fly over the handlebars.
- A pedestrian’s dog could rush at and scare a scooter rider, causing him or her to panic and crash.
- A speeding scooter rider could crash into another scooter rider or into a group of pedestrians.
It’s also important to note that the type of scooter does not make a difference. Whether your accident involved a kick scooter, a Revel e-scooter or an electric scooter, you still have rights. Additionally, note that pedestrians and other road users have rights when scooter riders cause accidents and injuries.
What Should You Do After a Scooter Accident?
Like cyclists and pedestrians, scooter riders have little to no protection in accidents. Consequently, scooter riders often suffer serious injuries, even in low-speed collisions. Whatever the situation, people who are conscious after a scooter accident should see to their injuries. Failing to do so could cause those injuries to worsen.
Here are some additional steps to consider whenever possible:
- Check on other persons involved in the accident.
- Call the police if anyone suffered injuries or there is serious property damage.
- Call an attorney to discuss your options and to get advice on how to interact with law enforcement.
- Get the contact information of other people involved in the accident.
- Take photos and video footage of the accident scene, including the surrounding areas.
What Are Some Common Injuries After a Scooter Accident?
If you have been in a scooter accident, seek immediate medical attention. Only a medical doctor can determine what injuries you may or may not have and how to treat them to reduce chronic pain or disabilities in the future. Hopkins Medicine identifies these as the most common scooter injuries:
- Dislocations or fractures of the arm or hand
- Head injuries
Some people might also suffer emotional or psychological harm after a scooter accident. The more sudden and more severe the accident, the more likely this becomes. Accidents that result in serious injuries, such as crushed limbs, can also cause mental distress beyond physical pain. These cases might become eligible for extra compensation in the form of pain and suffering. However, it depends on who the responsible party is and the level of negligence.
Who Is Responsible for Scooter Accidents?
Like any other type of accident, the responsible or negligent party depends on the details of the case. In some cases, the scooter rider could be that negligent person, which might cause a pedestrian or someone else to file a personal injury suit against the rider. Here are some possibilities.
Motor Vehicle Drivers
For years, experts have tried to address the tendency for drivers not to pay keen attention to cyclists and motorcyclists. Scooter riders are also often ignored by drivers. Consequently, drivers quite often cause accidents. Motorcyclists might also have a difficult time accounting for scooters that are too fast for bike lanes but which tend to hold up traffic on the roads.
Motor Vehicle Occupants
Who becomes responsible if the passenger of an Uber car opens the door into oncoming traffic and a scooter rider is unable to stop in time? An experienced attorney can review the details to determine the appropriate way forward.
Electric scooter speeds are getting higher and higher. While e-bikes can match and exceed these speeds, traditional bicycles cannot. Consequently, these bicycles can also stop more quickly and suddenly. If a cyclist turns too slowly or stops too suddenly in front of a scooter rider, it could cause an accident.
Modern-day pedestrians are often as distracted as drivers. If a pedestrian steps out into the street without looking, he or she could cause an accident. Children are especially prone to running out into the streets unexpectedly.
A dog does not need to be large or fierce to cause a scooter accident. An excited chihuahua could easily cause a scooter rider to panic and crash. Even if the dog did not bite or otherwise make physical contact with the rider, the owner could be held responsible for the accident.
Sometimes, scooter companies create defective products. In fact, even the best companies create lemons. If those lemons malfunction at high speeds or in tricky situations, the result can be catastrophic. For example, the electric motor in a scooter could suddenly cut out at 30 mph. The scooter might stop, but the rider certainly would not.
Why Should You Hire Attorneys for Your New York Scooter Accident Case?
When you hire an attorney, you can focus on recovering from your injuries while the attorney handles all the work. You also help to level the playing field. More often than not, an insurance company and its legal team will represent the negligent party. Bringing your own attorney into negotiations or into the courtroom ensures that you know your rights and that professionals leave no stone unturned when seeking compensation on your behalf.
Here are some tasks your attorney will take on:
- Collecting all possible evidence, such as medical reports, police reports, witness statements and footage from CCTV cameras or dash cams
- Building a case to combat any claims that you deserve full or partial fault for the accident
- Identifying potential causes of the accident
- Negotiating compensation from the negligent parties involved
- Estimating the full cost of the accident
How Do You Choose the Right NY Personal Injury Attorney for Your Case?
New York personal injury law has not fully caught up with all the nuances of a scooter accident. While more of these cases now generate insurance claims and end up in court, authorities are still not as experienced at handling these cases as others. Consequently, you need an attorney with experience in this specific area.
It’s also important to choose attorneys who can deliver results. A law firm’s previous wins provide no guarantees for what you can expect for your case. However, they do show what the law firm is capable of. At Hill and Moin, these are some examples of the compensation we have won on behalf of our clients:
- $10 million for a premises fall verdict
- $6.5 million for medical negligence
- More than $4 million for landlord’s negligence
- $2.5 million for an automobile accident
- $1.25 million for a ladder accident
- $1.07 million for a work injury
Are you ready to see if our team of experienced attorneys can deliver these or better results for you? It all starts with a free consultation in almost any language you speak. Some of the languages spoken at our law firm include French, Yiddish, Russian, Spanish and Armenian. Contact us today.