New York T-Bone Collision Accident Lawyer
With a population of over 8 million, driving in New York City proves to be quite daunting. The city is filled with traffic-packed streets, rampant with impatient drivers, difficult street parking, and numerous cars commuting daily.
Have you or a loved one been involved in a serious T-bone collision in New York? Right next to head-on collisions and rollover accidents, T-bone car accidents, also known as side-impact collisions, are notorious for causing the worst injuries. After an accident, you need to rest and recover in absolute peace, but you may not be able to. Accumulated medical bills, ongoing medical treatment, and damage to your car could be too much for you to handle. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer, though, can help you navigate the legal aftermath.
Since dealing with the after-effects of such a collision can no doubt be taxing, don’t hire just any personal injury lawyer. Hire an experienced New York car accident lawyer who cares.
At Hill & Moin, we are more than happy to lift the heavy burden so you can recover. Contact a qualified lawyer at Hill & Moin LLP before you file a claim. Call us at (212) 668-6000 to discuss your situation, free of charge.
T-bone Accident Statistics in the US
This type of accident occurs often due to people’s negligence, whether willful or by chance. The figures below show the injuries, fatalities, and frequency of dangerous T-bone car accidents that occur in the US as a whole. Here are the statistics reported for 2020:
- According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, T-bone accidents are responsible for almost a quarter of car accident fatalities nationwide
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that 23 percent of car accident fatalities were caused by side-impact accidents in 2020
- The National Safety Council (NSC) reported an estimate of 2.9 million angle collisions in the country in 2020
- Out of 11.3 million total crashes, 1.02 million were injury crashes caused by T-bone collisions and 7,400 were fatal crashes
- The NSC reported that angle collisions were responsible for 35 percent of non-fatal injury collisions; 18.9 percent of fatalities resulted from angle collisions, while about 1.6 million non-fatal injuries were sustained
The Most Common Causes of Side-Impact Collisions in New York, NY
T-bone accidents often occur when you’re at intersections such as T-junctions, crossroads, and roundabouts. Distracted driving is the leading cause of side-impact car accidents in New York City. The New York Department of Transportation reported a total of 9,259 car crashes in May 2022. Negligent driving was responsible for 29 percent of these.
There are ways to protect yourself and the ones you love from falling victim to a side-impact collision. Obeying all traffic laws may reduce your risk of being in a T-bone car accident. This type of collision is high risk because the side of the car rarely has much protective material to absorb impact. In this instance, severe injuries can occur or someone could be trapped in his or her vehicle.
Watch out for these common causes of T-bone car accidents:
- Distracted and inattentive driving
- Failing to yield to the vehicle that has the right of way
- Following another vehicle too close
- Failing to signal when passing or switching lanes
- Passing too close to a vehicle
- Disregarding and not yielding at a stop sign
- Failing to stop for pedestrians when turning
- Driving aggressively
- Engaging in road rage
- Driving inexperienced
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while under the influence of drugs
- Using a phone to text or call while driving
- Disregarding and driving through a red light or passing a stop sign
- Driving under heavy weather conditions, including heavy rain, snow, or fog
Common Injuries Sustained in NYC Side-Impact Collisions
As previously mentioned, side-impact collisions are more dangerous than most types of multiple-vehicle accidents. In a side-impact car accident, the reinforced bumper of one car collides with the side of another from the front. As a passenger or driver, you are only protected by a door and a window. If you’re in the impacted car, there is a higher risk of serious injury.
The extent of injury a victim can face in a T-bone collision depends on several safety factors. These include:
- The vehicle’s make and model
- The use of a seat belt
- The speed of either car at the time of the collision
- The angle of the impact
Some common injuries caused by T-bone car accidents include:
- Injuries to the head
- Injuries to the neck
- Injuries to the back or spine
- Injuries to the chest, abdomen, or pelvis
- Injuries to the arms and legs
- Soft tissue injuries such as strains, sprains, contusions, cuts, and tears
The injuries sustained from a broadside collision can be either internal or external. In New York, you have the right to claim damages for serious injuries that impact your daily life.
Are you buried in legal, medical, and financial stress due to the negligence and carelessness of another driver? Rest assured that the attorneys at Hill & Moin LLP are ready to help you navigate the legal storm. Contact us today at (212) 668-6000 to schedule a free case evaluation.
What to Do Following a Side-Impact Collision in New York City
The first thing to do after an accident is to get yourself and your company to safety. Allow the paramedics to carefully assess the extent of your injuries. Your health and safety are the most important things to attend to immediately after an accident.
A medical assessment of your condition can be used as evidence to build a compensation case. The knowledgeable attorneys at Hill & Moin also believe that the most beneficial practice is to provide a comprehensive record of the events surrounding the accident.
Other actions to take after a car accident in New York, NY:
- Do not discuss responsibility or admit fault
- Call your insurance company
- Collect information about the date, location, and time of the accident
- Take note of the weather and traffic conditions at the time of the accident
- Get the contact information of the other party or parties involved in the accident
- Gather the contact information of witnesses
- Keep records of your post-accident medical treatment. Keep evidence of symptoms, doctor’s appointments, and prescriptions
- Hold on to all the paperwork: pharmacy receipts, prescription notes, police reports, insurance paperwork, and so on
Recoverable Damages in New York, NY
In New York, you may be eligible to receive compensation for a T-bone collision. Injuries sustained from a side-impact collision are often severe. You could be compensated based on New York’s mandatory no-fault insurance policy. A request for punitive damages can be made if the responsible party’s behavior was extremely reckless or negligent.
If you or someone you love has been involved in a T-bone car accident in New York, you can receive compensatory damages for:
- Property damage to your vehicle
- Medical expenses such as ambulance fees, hospital stays, and medication
- Lost wages due to missed work
- Loss of future income if you are unable to return to work immediately
- Physiotherapy or rehabilitation
- Wrongful death
How a Hill & Moin LLP Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
Each car accident case is unique and requires careful evaluation. Hill & Moin LLP can ensure that you are taken care of with the necessary personal attention. Our clients trust that we will handle their cases with the utmost care and concern for their well-being.
As the victim of a traumatic T-bone car accident, you may suffer significant financial loss due to the damage to your car, lost wages, medical bills, and more. You have the right to seek compensation for damages that may have befallen you due to a severe injury.
Extensive paperwork is required when dealing with the legal woes of insurance companies. That is where we come in.
Your qualified personal injury attorney can:
- Investigate your incident thoroughly and gather all critical evidence
- Review your rights as per the laws of the state
- Review all the documentation regarding your case
- Give professional advice on the most practical legal strategy to pursue
- Guide you through the insurance reimbursement process
- Negotiate with insurers to maximize the compensation for your damages and losses
- Pursue and ensure efficient reimbursement fund collection
- Advise you on the wisest legal course of action to take to limit your liability for damages
- Follow the necessary processes required when filing a claim with the court and file on your behalf
A personal injury lawyer can protect you from getting an insufficient settlement amount. Hill & Moin LLP can stand by you, fight for you, and diligently build the case for your accident. Whether through negotiation or litigation, our attorneys strive to achieve a successful outcome.
The multilingual attorneys at Hill & Moin LLP are able to travel to your home or hospital room to discuss the details of your case. Our clients can rely on our professionalism and compassion to litigate successful settlements. You can comfortably leave your concerns in our hands.
Contact a New York Lawyer at Hill & Moin LLP Before Settling a Car Accident Claim
After a T-bone collision, you need to rest and recover, but thinking of the countless bills, expenses, and legal matters you have to face can be disheartening. Undoubtedly, this enormous burden disrupts your recovery and may cause immense psychological distress.
There is no need for you to address all these matters on your own. We can help you secure your future.
Don’t hesitate to take legal action and get the compensation you deserve. Making it possible for you to recover from the trauma of a T-bone car accident is our top priority at Hill & Moin LLP. Our results-oriented attorneys are well-versed in handling side-impact collisions in New York. We have been fighting for personal injury victims and winning favorable outcomes for over 50 years.
Not sure whether you have a case? Let us work together to carefully review the circumstances surrounding your incident before you file a claim. Call one of our qualified lawyers at (212) 668-6000 to schedule your initial free consultation today to learn about your Personal Injury Recovery SolutionsⓇ.
Don’t wonder about your rights!