New York Supermarket Accident Lawyer
A seemingly mundane trip to the supermarket can result in a serious accident when proper safety measures have not been put in place. Buying groceries should not be considered a high-risk activity. Unfortunately, the supermarket owner or management may neglect to properly maintain the premises. In such cases, a serious accident may occur at any moment.
It can be traumatic to be hurt in a supermarket accident. You may be confused and unsure where to turn to for help. But if you have sustained an injury in a supermarket accident, you may have the right to sue for proper compensation.
Supermarket accident claims can be complicated. Having an experienced supermarket accident lawyer on your side can ease your stress and bring you peace of mind. At the New York law firm of Hill & Moin LLP, our attorneys will do all we can to ensure that each of our clients receives the compensation they deserve. Our professional, compassionate, and highly experienced lawyers represent New York residents who have been injured or killed due to negligence.
Call a personal injury lawyer at Hill & Moin LLP to help you understand your legal options. You take no risk in working with us. We work on a contingency fee basis which means that we only require payment if or when your case results in a settlement or judgment. Call (212) 668-6000 to schedule a free case evaluation today.
Common Types of Supermarket Accidents
When you enter a New York supermarket, you have the right to expect that store to be well-maintained and safe. Many supermarket accidents occur due to the store management or staff failing to remedy potential hazards in a timely manner.
Some things that can lead to a supermarket accident include:
- Wet floors caused by leaking refrigerators or freezers
- Liquid spills in an aisle from a broken bottle or other goods
- Boxes or pallets improperly placed in aisles or walkways
- Display racks improperly placed in aisles or walkways
- No clear signs or warnings of a hazardous area or substance
- Door mats or carpet that is worn, in disrepair, or not properly fastened to the floor
- Uneven or broken floor tiles
- Unstable displays
- Falling objects from store shelves
- Poor lighting conditions
- Broken shopping carts
- Inadequate security
- Parking lot accidents
- Failure to salt slippery entrances and sidewalks
The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) states that slip and fall accidents account for over 1 million emergency room visits annually. Sadly, many of these visits could be avoided if property owners and management would keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition.
Other potential causes of accidents include elevators or escalators in disrepair and stair or handrail collapses. When owners and property managers fail to maintain their premises, serious or catastrophic injury can occur.
Supermarket Accident Injuries
The injuries sustained in a supermarket accident can range in severity. Injuries in such an incident are not to be treated lightly. The New York State Department of Health reports that 1.5 million injured New Yorkers are treated and released from an emergency department every year.
Victims may suffer such injuries as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries and concussions
- Fractured or broken arms or wrists
- Deep cuts and scratches
- Fractured or broken hips or pelvis
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Facial lacerations
- Broken teeth
- Torn ligaments
- Sprains and strains
- Soft tissue injuries
Hiring an experienced and knowledgeable supermarket accident lawyer can give you the confidence to pursue your legal right for compensation.
Proving Negligence in a Supermarket Accident
New York premises liability law states that a property owner or managing entity has the responsibility to ensure that the premises are safe for both public and private guests. You may be able to hold the property owner or management responsible for any personal injuries sustained on their property if they were careless or negligent.
In order to prove negligence in a supermarket accident, you need to prove that you sustained an injury due to a dangerous condition. This condition could be any type of dangerous hazard, perhaps wet or sticky floors, uneven flooring, unstable displays, or any other kind of potential hazard.
There are three elements that must be established to prove negligence. These elements are critical to all premises liability cases in the State of New York. These include:
- The property owner or management caused the hazard, knew about it, or could have foreseen the danger but did nothing to remedy or repair the hazard
- The hazard caused your accident
- The accident resulted in your injuries
It does not matter whether or not the property owner or management intended to correct or repair the problem. As long as the person in charge of the premises failed to do anything about resolving the foreseeable problem immediately, you can sue that liable party in order to pursue the compensation you deserve for your injury.
Steps You Should Take Immediately Following a Supermarket Accident
If you have been injured in a supermarket accident, there are several things you should do. Taking these steps will help you to establish the legitimacy of your case and prove the negligence on the part of the property owners or management.
Steps you should take include:
- Call for medical help. Even if you do not think that you are seriously injured, it is best to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident. You should get your injuries examined and treated. Some major injuries show few immediate symptoms. Timely medical diagnosis and care can be life-saving. A medical exam will also serve as documentation of the accident and evidence of the extent of your injuries for when you pursue a personal injury claim later on.
- Report the accident. You need to alert the property owner or manager as soon as the accident happens. The supermarket manager should fill out a formal accident report, and you should receive a copy. The accident report will ensure that the store cannot later claim that the incident did not happen.
- Get witness contact information. It is important to get the names and telephone numbers of anyone who witnessed the accident, including customers and employees. These eyewitnesses can support your story in the event that the owner or management tells a different version of events in an effort to avoid liability for your injuries.
- Take pictures. If at all possible, take pictures at the scene of the accident. Photograph the location of the accident as well as any dangerous conditions that caused your accident. Many times, accidents caused by spilled liquids or other temporary conditions are quickly cleaned up or removed.
- Contact a supermarket accident lawyer. A premises liability attorney can help you begin gathering evidence before it disappears. An insurance representative or risk manager for the supermarket may attempt to manipulate you into saying something that could later be used to hurt your case. An experienced lawyer, though, can guide you through the claims process and negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
Taking such steps will help to preserve evidence and establish a stronger case as you move forward with your personal injury claim.
Recovering Compensation After a Supermarket Accident
If you were injured in a New York supermarket accident, you may be entitled to compensation for the physical, psychological, and financial tolls associated with your accident.
You may qualify to obtain restitution for:
- Pain and suffering
- Hospital and medical expenses
- Disability or disfigurement
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Psychological distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
At Hill & Moin LLP, we help take care of investigating and handling your case so that you can focus on your recovery. If we take on your case, our empathetic and results-oriented lawyers will work aggressively to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Hire New York Supermarket Accident Lawyers Who Care
A serious supermarket accident can lead to untold pain and suffering. Trying to navigate the insurance and legal system can be an exasperating and exhausting experience. You may be left feeling distressed and anxious. An experienced and compassionate personal injury lawyer can ease this process for you.
At Hill & Moin LLC, we like to consider ourselves part of your family. In practice since 1980, the partners at Hill & Moin LLC have dedicated their efforts to successfully litigating serious personal injury claims of New York residents. When you have knowledgeable and experienced personal injury lawyers on your side, you can be confident that your future is secure.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a New York supermarket accident, it is critical that you contact a lawyer as soon as possible. At Hill & Moin LLC, we want to hear your story. We can help you throughout the entire legal process, ensuring that all possible recourse is taken and no deadlines are missed.
At Hill & Moin LLC, we offer our clients Personal Injury Recovery Solutions® that work. Learn what our dedicated and results-oriented lawyers can do for you. Call (212) 668-6000 for a free consultation today.
Don’t wonder about your rights!