New York Construction Fall Accident Lawyers
Construction falls are some of the most common and devastating job-site accidents that occur. If you or a loved one has been in a construction fall accident in New York, you may be wondering about the next step you should take.
At Hill & Moin, our clients know that they are our priority. We have represented injured clients for over 40 years and have won over $200 million in awards and settlements. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, psychological injuries, and more.
When we take on your case, we fight to get you the justice you deserve. And even until then, we can help you understand your legal options. For a free case evaluation, call us today at (212) 668-6000 or click here to complete the contact form.
The Most Common Types of Construction Fall Accidents
Construction falls are often tragic, sometimes resulting in serious injuries including brain trauma, broken bones, spinal cord injuries, and even long-term psychological injuries or death.
Many different workplace hazards can cause falls at a construction site. To keep these accidents from happening, workers should be aware of all potential on-site hazards.
Some of the most common types of falls include:
- Falls from heights: Workers can fall from roofs and other high places
- Slips and trips: These kinds of accidents can happen anywhere on a construction site, often because of slippery or uneven surfaces
- Unsafe ladders: Ladders are another common hazard on construction sites; if ladders are not properly secured or positioned, workers can fall and suffer serious injuries
- Wet floors: Wet or slippery floors can also be a hazard for construction workers; falls on wet floors can lead to serious injuries, including head trauma and spinal cord injuries
- Unstable scaffolding: Scaffolding is often used on construction sites and can be very dangerous; when scaffolding fails, workers can fall from great heights and sustain serious injuries, perhaps exacerbated by their tools or equipment
- Stairway falls: One of the most common construction accidents in New York City is a fall from a stairway; if the stairs are not properly constructed, marked, or maintained, they can pose a high risk
- Falls on debris: Falls onto debris are especially dangerous, as they can often lead to fatal injuries
Common Injuries From Falling in a Construction Accident
Construction workers are susceptible to a variety of injuries, some of which can be quite serious with long-term effects. Some of the most common conditions that can result from falling on a construction site include:
- Head injuries: Head injuries are some of the most serious injuries that can occur in a fall. Workers who hit their heads on the ground or on some type of equipment can suffer concussions, skull fractures, or brain damage.
- Spinal cord injuries: Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis and other serious impairments.
- Broken bones: Broken bones are another common fall injury. Workers may suffer fractures in their arms, legs, ribs, or other parts of the body.
If you’ve suffered any of the above, or other, injuries from a fall, you may be facing a long road to recovery. You may be unable to work or provide for your family because of lost wages.
Don’t try to go through the recovery process alone. Instead, contact the New York construction fall lawyers at Hill & Moin today to schedule a free consultation.
What You Should Do After a Construction Fall in New York?
In New York, construction workers are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits if they are injured on the job. Undocumented workers also have rights in this respect. However, workers’ comp may not be enough to cover the costs of medical treatment and lost wages.
Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you may also be able to file a legal claim. This could help you get more money in the form of economic damages, such as medical expenses, or non-economic damages, such as psychological injuries.
Taking the following steps after an on-the-job fall can help ensure your safety and protect your legal interests:
- Seek medical attention and report the incident. Even if you don’t think you’ve been seriously injured, it’s always best to err on the side of caution and get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injury, may not be immediately apparent.
- Contact an experienced construction-site fall accident lawyer. A skilled attorney can investigate your case and hold the responsible parties accountable.
- Keep all documentation related to your fall. This includes any medical records and bills, as well as any photos or videos of the accident scene. This evidence will be crucial in building your claim and getting the justice you deserve.
How to Prevent Construction Fall Accidents?
Falls are one of the most common types of accidents that occur on construction sites. In fact, falls cause almost one-third of all construction deaths. Construction workers are often required to work at great heights, which can put them at risk of fall-from-height injuries.
Please note several ways in which construction workers can protect themselves from falls:
- Wearing proper safety gear: Such as hard hats, safety glasses, and protective clothing
- Using safety equipment: Including items such as safety harnesses.
- Following safety procedures: Procedures may include using certain types of equipment in a specific way or working in certain areas only when someone else is present
By taking these sorts of precautions, construction workers can better protect themselves. However, workplace injuries are not always caused by the worker. Often, it is due to negligence on the part of those responsible for ensuring workplace safety.
What can you do if someone else caused your accident? A construction accident lawyer can review your case to determine fault or negligence.
New York State Laws on Construction Accidents
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has strict requirements in place to prevent workers from falling off of scaffolds, ladders, and other heights. Unfortunately, these safety measures are not always followed, and workers can be seriously injured or killed.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a fall, you may be wondering who is responsible for making sure the construction site is safe. After all, construction accidents are governed by a variety of laws. In New York, these are designed to protect workers and hold employers accountable for unsafe working conditions.
Workers thus have the right to a safe work environment free from hazardous conditions. Construction site owners and operators have a duty to keep the premises safe. This includes taking reasonable steps to prevent accidents and injuries.
Property owners and operators should inspect the construction site regularly and take corrective action upon finding any hazards. They should also provide adequate safety training for all workers.
What to Consider When Hiring a Construction Fall Accident Lawyer in New York?
After an accident, you have the right to sue for proper compensation. Unfortunately, construction fall accidents can be complex and each case will have its own unique set of circumstances. A lawyer can review the facts of your case and advise you on the best course of action to secure your future.
What should you look for when hiring a construction fall accident lawyer in New York? First of all, you deserve professionalism and compassion. The advocate you choose should also have a good track record of success to provide you with the best possible representation. Overall, you should feel confident in your lawyer’s ability to represent you.
You will find what you need at Hill & Moin LLC and among our wide-ranging network of trusted law firms. For over 40 years, our clients have enjoyed being treated with respect and understanding by our dedicated legal team.
Out-of-State Accident Claims
Based in New York City, Hill & Moin proudly represents injured clients from across New York State. But we can find other options for you, as well.
Did your construction accident happen outside of New York State? We can refer you to trusted out-of-state attorneys who also utilize similar Personal Injury Recovery SolutionsⓇ strategies. These are attorneys who ascribe to the same methods and processes in their respective jurisdictions.
New York Construction Fall Accident Lawyers
Don’t go through the aftermath of a construction fall accident alone. If you have been injured in a construction fall in New York, contact the law offices of Hill & Moin. For over 40 years, we have represented injured clients and we have won over $200 million dollars in awards and settlements.
Your time is limited to file a claim. Learn how our results-oriented attorneys can help you. We’ll patiently help you understand the options you have to secure your future after an accident. Our attorneys can give you the confidence to pursue your legal remedies for compensation.
Don’t wonder about your rights! Our construction accident lawyers can help you understand your Personal Injury Recovery SolutionsⓇ. Call us today for a free consultation (212) 668-6000 or click here to complete the contact form.